Our network

Man dies after swallowing '8 ball' of meth | Crime

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Man dies after swallowing '8 ball' of meth
Crime

JAMESTOWN, CA - A man is dead after swallowing 3.5 grams of meth while in the custody of Tuolumne County sheriff's deputies in early May.

An autopsy report released Monday, showed that James Jones had 16 times the level of a "potentially toxic" amount of meth in his system that caused his death, Tuolumne County sheriff's Sgt. Jeff Wilson said.

Jones was strip searched by deputies after they found a glass pipe for smoking meth on his person during the booking process. Wilson said during the strip search, a deputy saw a white item in Jones mouth and ordered him to spit it out.

Instead, he swallowed it.

Jones was transported to Sonora Regional Medical Center for treatment, where he admitted that he swallowed an "8 ball" of meth.

Wilson said Jones died at the hospital despite life saving measures by hospital staff.

Crime